DAN School Music Theatre Competition
for Ontario High School Students
The DAN School of Drama and Music 2022 Music Theatre Competition is co-presented with the Ontario Registered Music Teachers’ Association. The Competition consists of two rounds with the finals taking place on Friday afternoon, July 22, 2022, as part of the ORMTA 2022 Provincial Convention, to be held at the Isabel Bader Centre for the Performing Arts, Queen’s University, Kingston, ON.
Three prizes will be awarded: 1st place-$1,500, 2nd place-$1,000 and 3rd place-$500 (CDN).
The preliminary round for this competition will be by video submission. The competitor’s video recording, along with other application material, will be uploaded to the DAN School of Drama and Music website.
Up to six performers will be invited to perform in the Finals. The deadline for submitting an application is April 1st, 2022, with submissions of applications beginning on March 1st, 2022.
This competition follows the DAN School of Drama and Music’s philosophy of “music theatre” as an evolving and inclusive term that encompasses many subgenres of music + theatre (and/or dance), including musical theatre, operetta, opera, cabaret, avant-garde music theatre, and others. We support the development of young artists who will thrive when performing in a variety of these styles.
Additionally, this competition is designed to nurture and recognize the best young music theatre talent in Ontario in an environment that fosters and supports the development of versatile and creative performers. This philosophy also underlies the DAN School’s Bachelor of Music Theatre degree which is cooperatively presented with St. Lawrence College, Brockville Campus, where students complete two years of study concentrating primarily on singing, dancing and acting, followed by two years at the DAN School with opportunities for more academically focused classes in addition to further studies in performance.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Competitors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents, who reside in Ontario and attend an Ontario high school or have their parents provide a letter indicating home schooling at the high school age and level.
- Competitors must not have graduated from high school prior to January 1, 2022.
- Music Theatre Competition competitors may also enter the ORMTA Provincial Vocal Competition and/or the ORMTA Provincial Instrumental Competition but not the ORMTA Provincial Young Artist Competition. In particular, there should be no duplication of repertoire between the Music Theatre Competition and ORMTA Provincial Vocal Competition.
- As a rule, competitors are responsible for their own expenses (travel, accommodation, accompanists, etc.). However, if a selected finalist is experiencing financial hardships that prevent them from participating, an opportunity will be provided to request support from the DAN School.
- The programme must contain a minimum of 15 minutes of repertoire and must not exceed 20 minutes in total length, including accompaniment.
- Competitors must perform at least three, and no more than five, contrasting selections from Music Theatre productions that have received fully staged, professional performances. Selections from musicals that have only been workshopped are NOT permitted. Competitors will be judged on their whole performance package, including selection of repertoire, interpretation, and program arrangement with regards to contrast, appropriateness and suitability.
- Repertoire selections must be contrasting in style and tempo. At least one selection must be from a Broadway musical.
- The use of a chair or stool is permitted and a selection of these will be available for competitors to use. Additionally, a very small number of props or wardrobe accessories are permitted. These must be limited to items that can be placed on a small table at the side of the stage and be used in such a way that does not disrupt the flow of the performance.
- No microphone amplification is permitted.
- The same programme must be performed for both the preliminary and final round.
- The application form must contain all the details of the competitor’s repertoire for the programme, including composers and lyricists, the names of the shows the selections are from, and the performance times. Selections must be listed in the order in which they will be performed.
- Competitors must perform all selections from memory. Collaborative pianists must use a published or licensed printing of the music. The use of photocopied material is prohibited. Competitors must provide a published or licensed printing of their entire program of music for the adjudicators on the day of the competition. If needed, the DAN School can provide a pianist for the competitor’s final round, noting that the competitor will have to pay the pianist a reasonable fee for this service.
- All competitors must submit with their application the following:
- a photo
- a short biography (150 words maximum), written as if for a professional recital programme, beginning with a summary of the applicant’s musical accomplishments and briefly mentioning other interests as space allows
- a signed letter from a high school teacher or principal confirming the competitor’s high school enrolment, or a letter from a parent indicating home schooling at a high school age and level
- a signed DAN School Image Consent Form by the competitor, parent or guardian as required
Deadlines and Application Fees:
- A link to the Online Application Form for the DAN School 2022 Music Theatre Competition will be posted on this webpage in early 2022. Online submission of all application material will begin on March 1st, 2022 and must be uploaded by April 1st, 11:59 PM, 2022. We anticipate being able to contact the finalists by May 1st, 2022.
- An application fee of $25 (non-refundable) must be paid using a credit card through the DAN School Eply account which will made available to all applicants when submitting their application.
- No late applications will be accepted.
For more information, please contact John Burge, DAN School Music Theatre Competition Convener: email@example.com.