Welcome to the
EDII Committee of the Dan School of Drama and Music
Mission and Vision
The EDII Committee of the DAN School of Drama and Music will lead the DAN School towards diversifying its community and curriculum to become an inclusive and equitable place for students, faculty, and staff to work. It is undeniable that systemic injustices including racism, sexism, and colonialism, have afflicted our culture, have also been manifest in the performing arts. It is likewise undeniable that Drama and Music, as they have been taught and practiced at Queen’s University, have been complicit in the replication of many of these injustices, including prioritizing Western-European traditions at the expense of Indigenous and other cultural art forms. We in the DAN School are actively working to correct such past practices by prioritizing the rich creative work of scholars who identify as Indigenous, Black, or People of Colour (IBPOC), hiring more IBPOC faculty, and creating a school where all students can thrive. To this end, the Committee pledges to be an agent of positive change by rectifying any examples of injustice that occur within the DAN School. We want to see a DAN School that is a decolonized and anti-racist place for music and theatre creation, research, performance, and education.
REPORTING A CONCERN: Any student who has questions or concerns regarding equity, diversity, inclusivity, or has experience harassment in the DAN School is invited to contact us here. Your privacy and confidentiality will be protected to the extent possible. Please also see our list of student resources at the bottom of this page.
Meet the DAN School EDII Committee
Questions or Comments?
*Your privacy and confidentiality will be protected to the extent possible.
Supports for Students
Student Wellness: https://www.queensu.ca/studentwellness/ [request racialized counselling from Dr. Khanna or Mr. Adams.]
Four Directions: firstname.lastname@example.org (Lisa Doxtator provides counselling services there)
Learning Skills: http://sass.queensu.ca/onlineresource/topics/
Assistant Dean of EDII for Faculty of Arts and Science: Dr. Anita Jack-Davies
Health and Dental Plan Benefits Package: https://myams.org/home/ams-student-information/health-and-dental/
Celebrating IBPOC Voices
Explore IBPOC Voices in the Arts in Canada here, from orchestras to festivals to networks and companies
Queen’s University Resources
- Equity Services: https://www.queensu.ca/equity/home
- Indigenous Resources https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/indigenous
- Equity, Diversity & Anti-Racism: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/content/equity-diversity-and-anti-racism
- Faith and Spirituality: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/faith-and-spirituality
- Accessibility: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/accessibility
- Gender & Sexuality: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/gender-and-sexuality
- Wellness: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/wellness
- Mature students and families: https://www.queensu.ca/inclusive/resources/mature-students-and-families
- Faculty of Arts and Science Indigenous Initiatives: https://www.queensu.ca/artsci/about/meet-the-dean/indigenous-initiatives
- Chaplain’s Office: https://www.queensu.ca/faith-and-spiritual-life/home