Course Number: MUSC 261**/1.5 1P
Open To: B.Mus. and B.Mus./B.Ed. students
Area(s): Applied Music
Applied Music Instructor(s): Michel Szczesniak
Term(s): A, B
Room: Harrison-LeCaine Hall, room 120
Development of sight reading and accompaniment skills for pianists in close co-ordination with vocal and instrumental students. Additional Information MUSC 261 is an introductory course in piano accompanying, dealing with sight reading, re-arranging of piano reductions, score reading, rehearsal techniques, and repertoire awareness. Vocal and/or instrumental works are assigned for classroom rehearsing and performing. A required course for B.Mus. piano students.
This is a guide only. Teachers preparing students for an audition should use discretion and make appropriate choices that best reflect the candidate's level, achievement and strengths. There will also be a sight-reading component to the audition.
Candidates should prepare a 15-minute audition consisting of three works of contrasting style/period (at the minimum Grade 9 level) that demonstrate their technical skill and musical understanding.
Repertoire may be drawn from lists published by the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto or Conservatory Canada (or similar institutions). There is a wide range of repertoire and the following selections are just some examples:
- J. S. Bach: Sinfonia (3-part invention) Prelude and Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier
- Daquin: Le coucou
Viennese-style sonata (one or two movements)
- Haydn: Sonata (one or two movements), e.g. Hob XVI/13, 23, 34 or 37
- Mozart: Sonata (one or two movements), e.g. K. 283 or K. 570
- Beethoven: Sonata (one movement), e.g. op. 79 Variations, e.g. in G major, WoO77
- Chopin: Nocturne, e.g. op. 32, no. 1 or op. 70 nos. 1 or 3 Waltz, e.g. op. 64, no. 2 or 3, or op. 70, no. 1 or 3 Mazurka, e.g. op. 6, no. 1 or op. 68, no. 1 Prelude(s), e.g. op. 28, no. 15
- Schumann: Fantasy Pieces, op. 12, no. 1 or 4
- Ibert: The Little White Donkey
- Debussy: Prelude, e.g. La Fille aux cheveux de lin Canope
- Kabalevsky: Six Variations on a Ukrainian Folk Song, op. 51, no. 5
- Ravel: Menuet (Tombeau de Couperin)