Candidates should prepare a 15-minute audition consisting of three works of contrasting style/period that demonstrate their technical skill and musical understanding.
Students applying for Organ as a major must also be at the minimum Grade 8 level piano level.
Repertoire may be drawn from lists published by the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto or Conservatory Canada (or similar institutions). There is a wide range of repertoire and the following selections are just some examples:
RCM Grade 8 Organ Repertoire
- Bach, Johann Sebastian:Fantasia in C major, BWV 570 Prelude and Fugue in E minor, BWV 533
- Buxtehude, Dietrich: Praeludium in F major, BuxWV 144 Praeludium in G major, BuxWV 147
- Couperin, François: Benedictus (Messe pour les paroisses)
- Daquin, Louis-Claude: Noël VIII, IX, or XII
- Frescobaldi, Girolamo:Fiori musicali
- Krebs, Johann Ludwig:Fantasia a gusto Italiano
- Pachelbel, Johann:Ricercar in C minor
- Sweelinck, Jan Pieterszoon: Echo Fantasia no. 2 or 3
- Boëllmann, Léon: Prière à Notre Dame from (Suite gothique, op. 25)
- Franck, César: Andantino in G minor
- Mendelssohn, Felix: Sonata in D major, op. 65, no. 5, 2nd or 3rd movement
- Rheinberger, Josef: Cantilena (Sonata no. 11 in D minor, op. 148)
- Schumann, Robert:Fugue no. 3 in G minor from Six Fugues on B-A-C-H, op. 60
20TH, 21ST CENTURY
- Bales, Gerald: Intermezzo (Petite Suite)
- Bédard, Denis:Postlude No. 4 from Quatre pièces en forme de messe
- Bridge, Frank: Allegro ben moderato (Six Organ Pieces)
- Cabena, Barrie: Improvisation, op. 440 (in Te Deum Laudamus 1, RCCO)
- Dupré, Marcel: Antiphon V (15 Pieces Founded on Antiphons, op. 18)
- Howells, Herbert: Sarabande for the Morning of Easter
- Messiaen, Olivier:Desseins éternels (La nativité du Seigneur)
- Whitlock, Percy:Folk Tune (Five Short Pieces)
- Willan, Healey:Prelude and Fughetta (Five Pieces); Matins (Two Pieces)
This is a guide only. Teachers preparing students for an audition should use discretion and make appropriate choices that best reflect the candidate's level, achievement and strengths.
*There will also be a sight-reading component to the audition.