Faculty members explore artistic works from many different communities across this nation, including works by artists from Afro-Canadian and Indigenous communities. This area of research includes celebrating and highlighting the works of historical and contemporary Canadian artists including composers, playwrights, theatre makers, et cetera. Faculty members are often themselves creators and thus contribute to the canons they study.
The research themes include:
- Popular and classical music in Canada (including Canadian hip hop)
- Music theatre and theatre in Canada
- Afro-Caribbean dance, music, and theatre from Canada
- The intersection of “Canadian”, “Indigenous”, and "multiculturalism" for artists and their works
- Examples of works by DAN School composers and playwrights